logo1 gerard boersma
Wissesdwinger 1, studio no. 8
contact info@gerardboersma.nl

8.4.11

The Meeting- Selfportrait with Selfportrait Jopie Huisman



The Meeting
Selfportrait with Selfporait Jopie Huisman

G. Boersma
acrylics on masonite
23.6 x 23.6" or 60 x 60 cm
2011


Just like the Wheelbarrow I made this painting for my show with my late great-uncle Jopie Huisman. On the painting you see me enjoying the well known selfportrait of Jopie rolling a cigarette. It's basically a selfportrait within a selfportrait. The painting is situated in Jopie's own museum in Workum.

The painting is pretty dear to me. Not only because Jopie and I meet each other right here, but with me being the latest professional artist in my family this painting sort of symbolizes the fact that it's now my turn to pick the brushes and make art. That truly feels good and with this painting I want to show my respect to Jopie.

To be honest I was pretty scared when I started working on this painting. Jopie's selfportrait is so rich with detail that I didn't know if I could pull that off. But when I actually started painting a calm came over me and I just knew it would work out just fine.

The Meeting and 14 other larger scaled paintings can be seen from april 10 - nov 6 in Museum De Andere Kant, It Noard 5 in Workum. The show opens tomorrow april 9 at 14.00h! You're cordially invited!

kind regards, Gerard

available paintings about